The past two days have been hectic. I got two new students on Monday and neither speak English. I'm reminded over and over of how the first couple of weeks of school were back in August; acting out everything I say and having to stay right on top of everything they do. When I lapsed back into how I can be with my other students New Kid walked out of the room! The transitions have been challenging as I cant just say 'Lets get ready for lunch! Shoes, wash hands, get your lunch!' and have everyone comply. I'm back to pointing at my own shoes, walking students to the sink and double checking that they don't put on coats and backpacks thinking they're done for the day! (yes, this happened today and yesterday)
Today during our lunch transition as I was monitoring my new students, doubling checking that everyone was getting ready, zipping boots, and trying not to step on anyone of the 20 small children in the K4/K5 hallway, E came up to show me her tooth that she'd been wiggling all morning. I inspected it and tried to show real interest "Wow, it's lovely! Keep wiggling it and it'll come out soon!'. With that she tried to pull it out. It didn't work. She turned those big blue eyes on me and, as you can guess from my previous post, I melted. I'd just washed my own hands in preparation for lunch so I reached in a popped it out. After I ran into the classroom to find a baggie, we both when back to the bathroom where I handed her a tissue and re-washed my hands.
As I came out A was looking at me "Teacher, mine's about to come out too!" She was right so I popped it out too. **Repeat above about giving tissues, washing hands, and finding baggies**
Lost teeth are such a fun part of childhood and I love being a part of it. We may have been a few minutes latter to lunch but those snaggle-toothed grins are totally worth it. Also I set a new personal record: Pull two teeth within 3 minutes!
No comments:
Post a Comment