Monday, January 5, 2015

A day in Munich: Marienplatz

I had a 9-hour layover in Munich, Germany on my way home from Christmas with my family and decided to get out and explore the city.
Even with both my prior flights being delayed I arrived in Munich by mid-morning.
I found the train and took it to the city center, Marienplatz. I'd heard that was a must-see plaza. Also I had downloaded a free audio walking tour from Rick Steves that began in the plaza. The tour was very interesting and highly enjoyable, I would recommend these to anyone, especially if you're traveling alone.
I'd never been to Germany and was immediately enchanted by the rustic countryside and tiny train stops we passed, they reminded me of what they must have been like in during the WWI era. Thankfully the trains were updated and modern. 
When I arrived at my stop I got out and found the escalator up to the street level. As I emerged into the busy square I literally stopped to catch my breath, it was beautiful!! I really didn't know what to expect but this exceeded anything I'd thought of.

As I 'came to', and realized I was at the end of the escalator, I realized that the famous glockenspiel clock was just beginning it's dance I ran over to take a picture and a quick video. I wandered around taking in the beautiful plaza before beginning my audio tour.

No comments: