Thursday, January 22, 2015

Reading at the Coffee Shop

Today was a half day so after school I worked for a couple of hours writing lesson plans for the coming weeks, getting materials ready, and preparing for my new students who arrive Monday. It felt good to have time to get things done and get my room back in order. Although I got a lot done and stayed longer than I usually do I still left by the time I'd usually be taking kids to the bus!
The weather had finally warmed up and I 'offed my coat' (a phrased I picked up from one of the first graders) and walked happily to the mall, arriving only slightly chilled. I'd heard of a new bakery/coffee shop that had opened up recently and had been wanting to try it. I order coffee and a simit and settled down to read and knit. Typically I don't do both of simultaneously but the book was so engaging and the knitting so repetitive I was totally lost in them both! 
My mom gave me a copy of My Side of the Mountain while I was home as a book I might enjoy reading to my students. I wanted to 'test-read' it and so had stuck it in my bag this morning. I was so glad I did. I opened it up and read the preface. 4 hours later I looked up and realized that I'd read to the next-to-last chapter and had knit over 5 inches! I felt like I had to climb down the mountain and back into civilization as I'd lost myself in the stories of Sam's adventures living in the wilderness. 
As I walked home I felt that everything was right in the world. The brisk air was cold but felt great, most of the snow has melted so it's less treacherous walking around the neighborhood, I stopped by the store for a Olive bun and went home to finish reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so cute. I absolutely loved reading this. I felt like I was peeking into your life! Picturing every scene :) xoxoxo sisssyyyyy