Monday, January 5, 2015

A day in Munich: Getting Tea

It was very chilly in the city with snow flurries blowing around and, although I'd brought a hat, scarf, and gloves, I was still cold! I stopped in a cafe and, after trying to read the menu for a while, finally settled for just a hot cup of tea. To be honest the tea wasn't that great but it was lovely to just sit and read. I realized that I could do exactly whatever I wanted to for however long I wanted, just so I was back to the airport in time.
Finally I asked the waitress for the check and prepared to continue my exploring. She brought me the check (3.50 Euro) and I handed her my debit card. Since all I was planning on buying in Munich was a train ticket (the machine accepted cards) and a lunch or snack somewhere I decided not to get any Euros out but just pay the international fee for using my card.
All that to say when the waitress looked at my card and said 'No cards. Cash only" I froze shocked. "you what...?" The cafe was large and very modern, I wouldn't have dreamed that they only accepted cash. I checked my wallet again hoping that by some miracle a few Euro might appear, they didnt. I asked helplessly what she thought I should do. The unhelpful woman only shrugged her shoulder and looked back at my wallet: still no miraculous appearing Euros.
I asked if there was an ATM close by and if I could run over and come back - she shrugged again and said she didn't know (really, you work at a cash-only restaurant and you don't know where the closest ATM is?!?). She finally called her friend over who told me where the ATM was and asked if I had a passport they could keep until I came back (ain't no way! a passport over a cup of tea?!!?) I said nothing and she then noticed my bag. I agreed to leave my bag (with passport carefully snuck into my pocket) while I ran to across the platz to the ATM.
The plan worked and I gave her her 3 Euros and left. Thankfully I had plenty of time and had at least enjoyed the cafe before the check arrived.

No comments: