Wednesday, January 18, 2012

More Trusting and Getting to Church

What I probably should have put in the last post, I was trying not to make it too long, was what happened two days after I got there. As I may have mentioned before, we arrived thursday night and enjoyed exploring the city and meeting some of Jordan's friends on Friday. When dropping me back at my host family's house that night Jordan asked if i'd like to go to church the next morning. Since New years is a HUGE deal in Ukraine and it was Sunday, the church he goes to had moved its service to Saturday morning. I said I'd love to go and he left saying he'd call my hosts to in the morning and figure out when to get me.
The next morning I got all ready for church then played with my hosts' 2 year old son while waiting to find out the plan. Jordan called and talked with my host and a few minutes later I found myself in the backseat of a taxi headed to who knows where. After about 15 minutes the driver stopped and motioned towards a building asking a questions. It didn't look like a church but I wasn't sure what it was supposed to look like. I shrugged my shoulders. He pulled to the side and said something a bit more definite. I shrugged again wondering if this wasn't the right place how the heck I was going to find my way back. Oh well, I decided I may as well get out and see if I could find Jordan anywhere. My host had told me about how much the fare should be so I handed the driver 20 Hryvnia (about $2.50). He said something else and I tried my best cute-but-lost-be-nice-to-me face and he began sorting through his bills until he came up with 3 hryvnia and, using motions, showed I was to give him that many. I found them and thanked him, in Turkish (the only language I could think of at the time), and got out. Just as I closed the door, Jordan walked up! I was so glad to see that boy!

No comments: