Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day (Night)1 in Ukraine: Trust

When we landed in Ukraine I was past the point where I can think clearly. When I get to a certain point of tiredness, I stop thinking things through before I say them. Instead of intelligent questions or comments, I end up sounding like a complete idiot or an airhead. In attempts to keep some sort of air of intelligence, I've found that when I get super tired, it's best not to open my mouth. And so, since they'd been through it so many times before, I followed my friends trusting them to get me through customs and baggage claim correctly. The guys got us through quickly and in no time were had collected our bags (well, they'd collected our bags. Such gentlemen) and we were headed out to the place where people meet you. I had no idea who was coming for us but as we walked out into a sea of signs and people Jordan saw someone he knew and without much talking we followed him to his waiting van. He loaded our bags and got into the van and we were off into the dark night.
Because of my aforementioned though process slowness it didn't really hit me until about 30 minutes into the ride, while my travel buddies were both fast asleep, that the whole situation was a bit sketch. I guess I've grown up reading and watching too many mysteries. I realized that I was in a foreign county, it was late (I wasn't sure of the actual time but it was completely dark outside), I couldn't speak or understand anyone there (except for the two guys who were asleep), and I had no idea where were were going; destination, direction, or how long it was supposed to take.
I smiled in the darkness. The Lord was with me, apparently Jordan trusted this silent driver, it wasn't until later that I learned he didn't speak any english, and I was on an adventure. Where ever I was going I knew I wouldn't be alone. This was a time for me to trust the Lord and who he'd sent to be with me and just sit back and enjoy the adventure he was sending me on.
Two hours later we arrived at my host families home and after promising to come collect me the next morning I said good night to my friends and was content to wash my face, brush my teeth, and go to bed.

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

Good girl, just get in the car and trust. :)