Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This one's mostly for the 'Turks'

Though on the outside I may seem an all america girl on the inside I'm realizing just how much Turkish culture I picked up on. I keep finding myself thinking or doing things that, for people here, seem weird. So here's a post all about the things that this little southern girl is having to 'relearn' ;
1) When I drove past a police car I instinctively felt my purse to for my passport. oh wait... no one cares it I'm carrying it.
2) At dinner there was a side salad in front of my place. Just as took my first bite, trying to only touch what I was to eat, I realized that it was all mine, no one else was going to eat it.
3) At Christmas dinner with the cousins, I reached over the table for the rolls. I was quickly reminded by siblings that I should ask for it.
4) I feel wrong walking around my house, or my friends, in shoes.
5) I keep answer in Turkish and translating in my head. I keep finding myself wondering before I say anything ' Do I know this in Turkish?'
6) One my first days here I was in my kitchen. I got a cup from the cabnet, filled it with ice then for real probably took 30 seconds to try to figure out where to get drinking water. I knew my parents didn't have a pump but I couldn't remember what they did instead. Oh yeah.... The sink.

Feel free to laugh but as I try, or keep from crying, I think back and recall a blog much like this but opposites "why does this crazy country -turkey at the time- do things this way?!?!" - now all that seems so normal. Feel free to laugh at this one

No comments: