Yesterday we had the day off and celebrating American Thanksgiving. I'd had to get used to calling it that because I only have one American child in my class and even she didn't know exactly why we had the day off from school. My sweet Danish student brought be wrapped chocolates and a card for Thanksgiving. His mother had written 'Happy Thanksgiving' and he'd drawn a picture for me. Upon questioning I learned the picture was of a sunshine with clouds over it and a camel, of course I had to hang it up behind my desk.
Wednesday night I went out with friends and generally tried to keep out of the kitchen as my roommate made 100 dinner rolls! She worked long and hard on those and I thought of all the husbands throughout America who probably did the same as I did: get out of the kitchen and keep out of the way.
Thursday morning I made two big sweet potato casseroles, one topped with marshmallows and one with pecan/brown sugar topping. I was a little worried because I'd never actually made them before. It's a family tradition at Thanksgiving and Christmas but my mom always does that part of the cookie. Also I was using three kinds of potatoes. Sweet potatoes are difficult/impossible to find here in Ankara but a friend had gotten me some (along with pecans and marshmallows). I was very thankful for even those little 'homey' items that made this Thanksgiving seem a lot like the ones back home.
This Thanksgiving I'm overwhelmed by my many, many blessings and am reminded of why I celebrate Thanksgiving. I don't mean to be unpatriotic but I don't really celebrate the First Thanksgiving but I celebrate for the same reason the settlers and Native Americans did. Because I'm thankful and want to celebrate with feasting, family, and friends. God has been so good to be and I want to celebrate that goodness and the blessings I have with those I love, even if that means skyping some loved ones in.
ps: Sorry I didn't take any pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment