Sunday, November 16, 2014

Art day!

I try to make my weekly lesson plans during the previous week when ever I have time. It's always nice when this actually happens because then I dont have to stay at school all afternoon, or on the weekends, to finish them up. I work on them here and there during planning periods or when I'm not on recess duty.

I did this for last week's lesson plans but didn't really think very practically through Friday. Friday morning I realized that I'd planned to make an art project in math, play with shaving cream for science (making maps), and paint christmas ornaments. The last project was a last minute addition as I didn't know they needed to be done so early. The school Christmas fair is next week (WHAT?!? Christmas already?!?!) so the student-decorated tree needs to be up by then.
Art projects are tricky with 5-year-olds because I'm not sure how long they'll take or how they'll go. I chickened out and skipped the shaving cream activity but then the ornaments were painted very quickly. Thankfully the kids have been dying to paint so they were happy with the paper I quickly produced when I heard the second 'Teacher, I'm finished!!'.
By the end of the end of the day our room was rather a mess but there were 9 very happy little people dancing around. I sent them to wash hands and pack up before I lined them up for activity (Art!! like i said, I should have thought this through!). Once they'd left I cleaned up the tables and finished their ornaments. It was a little crazy to do all of the projects in one day but the smiles I received were well worth it. I love these little people!
This is the k-5 addition to the school tree, jiggle bells!

No comments: