It's always a bit of a challenge moving back home after college. It's not that my life there is wild and crazy and doesn't fit with my family's life we just change and grow when apart and it takes a little while to figure out how to live as an adult child. I remember first having trouble with this when I moved home after being in Turkey. I had to find a happy medium between being an independent adult, like I'd been used to being for the past 4.5 months, and submitting to my parents since I was living under their roof. I remember one night, around 9 pm, I was about to go to a friends house (that's near a not-so-nice part of town) when my dad said that I couldn't go by myself. 'Did he forget that I just moved back from living by myself in a foreign country?' I thought, but didn't say anything.
Though I've gotten better at it over the years there's still a period of time at the beginning of the breaks from school that it seems awkward and unsettled. One example of where this plays out is going out with friends. Do I ask my parents if I can do things or tell them? I don't think it'd be healthy if I was still completely under my parents and asked for permission to do everything yet at the same time I can't go doing whatever I want since I'm living in their (our) home.
This summer where I've seen this balancing act mostly is moving back into my room. My sister and I have shared a room since we moved into the house, she had just turned 1 and I had just turned 5. Naturally when I moved out she moved into the empty spaces. It wasn't like she didn't want me back in the room but it took a bit of give and take on both our parts to figure out how we'd work it back out. At one point she looked at me and asked "Missy, how did you fit in here before you left?" I reminded her that when I was here I had had one side of the closet and half of the drawers. "Oh yeah.... I should probably move some of my stuff back to where it goes". Thanks B. Thankfully we've figure things out and, for the most part, things are back to normal. Yes I may still keep my toiletries in a travel bag, since my old drawer is now hers, but I don't mind. It's good to be home.
No comments:
Post a Comment