I realize that the title to this is rather depressing but I can't thing of a better one.
This has been such a crazy week I'm not even sure where to begin. In my last post I told you about starting work at a fruit arrangement place all day Wednesday. This is a temporary holiday position to help out with the Mother's day rush. Well thursday was more of the same but a bit longer: 12 hours. Friday was more of the same again but longer: 14 hours. Friday night I was so tired I couldn't sleep very well and kept dreaming about people handing me arrangements and making me put the fruit on (This didn't happen at work but I did put tons and tons of fruit on skewers for the arrangers to use). Saturday at 7:10 am I was again at work but this time for only 11 hours. Finally I counted and realized that I'd worked 46 hours in 4 days. How did that happen!?!?!
Aside from the long hours I really enjoyed the work and many of the people I worked with. Though many were crude, loud, and swore like sailors, others were more enjoyable. One little girl was especially sweet. She was almost 17, but looked closer to 14, and this was her first job. She lives out in the country, raises chickens, went to church, and is home-schooled. To see her cute little face of pure shock and horror at some of the language, I had to hold back a grin. Thankfully we were able to work together for much of the day.
One thing I learned through this job was how much positive or negative energy effect everyone at the workplace. I don't mean this in a weird hippie/vibes way just the difference encouragement/good attitudes vs yelling/complaining affects how everyone worked. Friday was a long day and by the end of it I was tired, brain numb, discouraged, and stressed. Saturday wasn't as long but still I felt much calmer and more relaxed even though there were still stressful times and many many orders to organize and get ready for delivery. The difference? One of the main kitchen workers was out Saturday. Since she's kinda the head-honcho of the place she really sets the mood. The problem is that she's rather intimidating, yells at and cuts down others, uses foul language, and is generally just not a very happy person. When she's there there is a very stressed and discouraging feel to the place. When she's not there things go more smoothly and people felt more relaxed.
I hope that I am a person that's encouraging and makes people want to work harder and do their best instead of someone who people are afraid and annoyed by. It really makes a difference.
1 comment:
I am sure you are quite a light there, and your homeschool friend!
Post a Comment