One of the first things my newest Japanese students asked when she arrived was when my birthday ways. I remember she was very upset because I didn't understand her and I found a first grader to translate for her. It was so sweet that she'd want to know.
Ever since I changed the calendar to May she'd announce, almost every morning, 'Teacher birthday 31 May'. My sweet students were all pretty excited about my birthday and a little sad that it fell on a Sunday. I assured them we could still celebrate it the day after. This morning I was presented with flowers, a book, a drawing, an ultra-sound picture (of baby sister who's due any day), and the sweetest video birthday card, along with lots of hugs of course! I'm going to miss these little ones!
Instead of bringing in a treat for them I decided it'd be more fun to go get popsicles from the market across the street. I was right. They loved our (very) short walk so much that I think it'll make up for not taking a real field trip like their older siblings talk about.
We ate our ice cream on the steps outside the school then played a quick round of 'Bumble Bee tag', a favorite P.E. game, they were kind enough to teach me the rules.
Monday evening I enjoyed another sweet celebration with my turkish tutor. She way overdid herself and surprised me with strawberry cream pie, cake, and baklava! She used what candle she had, I think I blew our at least 10 including some announcing that I was '29', or '92', depending on how you looked at it.
I'm so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment