Yesterday my voice got progressively scratchier sounding throughout the day. This morning I woke up feeling ok but soon realized I had no voice. Thankfully I could whisper a little but couldn't get above that.
I had laryngitis in high school but since I only went to a testing center for school, I was still able to get by pretty easily. When I next had it I was in college but it was a Friday or Saturday and I was able to get by with texting my friends across the table.
This time I had a full day of Kindergarten to teach. Teaching without a voice is tough, especially when your students cant read well. However, thanks to a online Text-to-Speech site, helpful teachers on my hallway, and the Magic School bus, we were still able to have a simi-productive school day. I really do have a great class of wonderful students.
It's still so odd to me that it's snowing in April. It's pretty but I think that fact probably added to the worsening of my cold and the loss of my voice. All week I've been teaching my students about sound, how it's made and especially how our voices make sounds. I guess it's fitting that we have a demonstration of what happens when those vocal chords don't vibrate!


No comments:
Post a Comment