Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Unending Apples


Last weekend I bought a kilo of apples at the pazaar to eat for lunches or make into apple sauce. A Kilo is a lot of apples so after a few days of eating them for lunch I decided to cook the rest and take stewed apples to the breakfast pot-luck we had at school Friday morning. Thursday night I began chopping up the apples and cooked them in water with a bit of sugar and cinnamon. My roommate suggested I add her apples as we were both about to go out of town and wouldn't be able to eat them before we left. I added 3 more and kept chopping.

I must have gotten a little carried away or been hungry because I ended up chopping too many apples and adding more water than I intended. An hour later I had a pan full of stewed apples and a pot full of... Apple cider! (apple juice? I don't know the difference). Anyways it was delicious so I let it cool then froze it for later.
After the breakfast there were still some apples left over so I took them home and pureed them (I found a puree thing at my house and love it! It makes things so fast and easy!). I froze the resulting apple sauce for next week's lunches.
This morning I pulled out a can of the frozen apple cider/juice and let it partially thaw. Being impatient I drank part of it then shook it up so that the frozen chunks broke and the result was an apple icee!!
I think my kilo of apples has proved to be a good purchase. Know what to do with the quart of frozen apple juice in my freezer? It almost seems too easy just to drink it as cider.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have me craving mum's yummy stewed apples!! Can't wait to sip apple cider with you at Christmastime! So love!!