Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Holiday on the Mediterranean

This weekend was the Turkish celebration of Kurban Bayram, the annual sacrifice holiday. Although I'm saddened by the fact that so many people are still making sacrifices, unaware that the final sacrifice has been made, it is nice to have a few days off school to exploring and relaxing.
I went with a group of other teachers to the mediterranean costal town of Antalya. I'd never been there but fell in love with the beautiful coast, the tiny winding roads of the old-town and the lovely weather.

We left Friday night and arrived pretty late. Saturday we explored the old-town area we were staying in then went to the beach. It was a rocky beach, a first for me, but I actually really liked it! It was a nice change to be laying on the beach and not have to worry about getting everything sandy. Although it wasn't as pleasant to walk on it was really fun! We played in the water and napped on the beach for a couple of hours, buying out lunch from the Simitci ( simit man) who walked about the beach selling Simit (similar to a bagel). There was also a man walking the beach selling tea but we didn't get any. It's fun to be on holiday with the Turks. There was lots of european tourists in Antalya but also a lot of Turkish ones as well. 
Sunday we took a day-long boat trip. It was very relaxing and a great way to see the coastline. We stopped twice to swim and the boat people fried up chicken and fish for our lunch. At the second stop it was rather cloudy so I stayed warm and dry on the boat. While we were there a little boat came up to us and a man came on-board selling ice-cream!
Monday morning we headed out to find the Duden Waterfalls. Although we were expecting something more remote the waterfalls were a big tourist destination and the land around the falls was very developed. We walked around, climbed some of the walls close by, and explored some shallow caves near the falls. One thing I love about Turkey is that even when there are paved walk-ways and handrails on the stairs there is still a lot of 'exploring' that can be done. We couldn't get in the water as it was "Dangerous and Forbidden to approach the falls" but we enjoyed climbing the walls and caves nearby. 
After a fun day at the falls and more exploring of the old-town we got our things, bought a simit 'for the road' and headed to the airport. We had another late flight and arrived home around 2 am. Although I would love to go back to Antalya it was a good length of time for so many packed days. 
One the way plane I mentally thought through my baggage; my book was read, yarn was knitted into 2 hats and a princess crown, my clothes were dirty. Yes, it was time to go home. I love adventures but it makes the memories all the more special when they don't last forever.

 ps
Sorry that last picture's such poor quality, it was hard to get any good pictures inside the caves. 

No comments: