My days are beginning to fall into a familiar rhythm and I love it. The days are going by quickly and the early morning and late evenings are cooling off as a great reminder that fall really is coming even when the afternoons are still in the low-mid 90s!
I'm getting more used to my schedule and surprising myself that I actually remember what time recess is supposed to be over or what we do after morning bathroom break without having to look at my plans (but please don't take away my cheat-sheet clipboard yet!). My students are learning and growing so quickly, I cant imagine what a change will happen between now and June. Little ones who had no idea what to do the first day or two are now following along and seem more sure of themselves.
Yesterday I gave each of my students an oral 'Kinder-test' to see what they already know of the alphabet, letter sounds, shapes, numbers and colors. I have a wide range of skills from a few who told me all the letters (upper and lower-case), their sounds, and numbers to 20 and one sweet little one who just smiled as I pointed to a letter, shape, and color asking what it was. Ok, let's focus on getting English learned before moving on too far.
But even at their most trying, I love those little children already. I may be ready for a break from being with them by 2:30 or 3 but I look forward to seeing their smiling faces rounding the corner tomorrow morning.
One little girl especially keeps me smiling (if not laughing outright). The school does not have water fountains so the students bring a bottle of water to drink during the day. They're kept in the classroom and student are free to get a drink (generally) whenever needed- we're still learning about social queues here. The other day I was mid-sentence in a book when someone decided they would like some water. With that the other 7 decide they're thirsty too and, well, there goes my class. I took a deep breath and tried to turn it into a learning moment; 'Boys and girls, this is not a good time to get a drink. When we go to the restroom or are having play time that is a good time to get a drink but in the middle of a story is not a good time for a drink.". To prove that they wouldn't dry up before lunch I finished the book and announced that now was a good time to get a drink.
By the end of the day (or probably by lunch time) I had forgotten all about the drink incident and probably wouldn't have thought of it ever again until I reminded the students to get a drink on their way in from recess the next afternoon. K pipes up "Teacher, is now a good time to get a drink?". She'd asked that question no less than 8 times sense then.
Her innocent, literal words make me smile and remind me, when I'm stressed or frustrated that they're still 5 year olds who want and need lots of love and lots of guidance as they try their 5-year-old hardest to become little people in a school filled with bigger people who know more than they.

No comments:
Post a Comment