Thursday, September 11, 2014

Never a Dull Moment in K-5

Twice today my students had be trying very hard to keep a straight face (I may or may not have succeeded).

While brainstorming B words I called on students to tell me a word that begins with B and I wrote it on the board with a picture. After calling on all the English speakers I began asking the non-english speaking students. Most of them said a word previously stated by another student. Then I got a curve-ball;
Me: "S, what is a word that begins with a /b/ sound?" (ready for a long wait while he thinks or points to a picture on the board)
S:  (without hesitation) "Bacteria"
I was in shock. I couldn't help but laugh as I wrote 'Bacteria' on the board along with our other B words, and tried to explain what bacteria was to the other 5-year-olds who were looking slightly confused.
Later in the day while discussing problems and solutions I read nursery rhymes and asked students to tell me the problem and a possible solutions ('there is more than one solution to most problems'). After reading Little Miss Miffet we concluded that the problem was that there was a spider next to her. We brainstormed solutions: ignore the spider, run away, or kill the spider. At this last one a dramatic little girl pipes up "NO! you shouldn't kill it! That's so mean! You need to get a piece of paper, slid it under the spider and take it outside!!'
Well PETA, you've got an up and coming spokeswomen.

No comments: