Monday, October 19, 2009

36 hours in Istanbul part 1

Saturday morning I did something I do not enjoy doing... and I think doing it on a saturday morning makes it worse. I woke up in the 5's.
"WHY???" you might ask. Well it was for a good cause, I was on my way to ISTANBUL!!!!!!! I was so excited that it helped make the unearthly hour seem a little better. Anyways a few 
friends and I met up at the taxi stand to get a taxi to the Havas station to catch a 
bus to the airport to catch our plane to Istanbul. I like the public transportation here and use it whenever I leave my neighborhood, granted that not really by choice but anyways.... Sometimes I do, just 
for a second, wish that I had my car and didn't have to depend on the unpredictable dolmus and buses and could drive here or there but then one look at the traffic is enough to make me pray for safety and count my blessings. 
In Istanbul we rode the subway, trolly-bus and a funicular. 
The funicular is really neat because it looks like 
a subway but goes down a big hill that normal trains couldn't. It used a pulley system to pull one train up while it goes down, then it reverses
 and goes the other way, being pulled up while the other train goes down the hill. By the end of 36 hours I had been on the following; 
Taxi, City bus, Havas bus, Plane, Car, Subway, Funicular, Trolley, and on foot all around Istanbul. 

No comments: