Thursday, September 17, 2015

Angel voices amid wet pants

To be honest today wasn't a great day in K-5. It was hot and my students were oscillating between sleepy and bonkers. I tried to be patient but I didn't have a good balance of moving clips (our behavior system which I should have used more) and giving grace (probably gave too many chances). Quite a few students were making poor chooses and very little self-control was to be found. I felt like I was repeating directions 10 times when someone would yell out that they didn't know what to do!
Lunch was more than the usual craziness as the school was hosting a conference so we had twice the normal number of people squeezed it. By the end of the day I was pretty frustrated with the little people in my class and was trying hard not to show it. Like I said not a great day (don't worry, the afternoon and evening was better).
During centers I looked up from getting take-home folders ready and realized everyone was doing what I'd asked! The ones who'd finished their work were happily coloring and my TA was helping those still working. Just then the happy, coloring angels began singing! It started with one table and quickly moved though the room until all the students were singing the song I'd taught them about the '10 Unchangeable' (we haven't gotten past 6 so far)
1, I am one of a kind
2, for my mom and dad
3, for my brothers and sisters, they're the best I've ever had and
4, nationality
5, mental capacity
6, time in history
I'm thankful for the way that God made me!
Although the angelic singing didn't last long it did encourage me that they are learning something and reminded me to pray that each of these students would one day come to know and love the God that made them so special. After this revelation I went back to writing the note telling the parent their child wet his pants and asking for another set of extra pants to keep at school.

*Some of you may be wondering: I'm allowed to sing this song because it doesn't specify what god I'm thanking. I do hope they'll ask though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Missy!
Ruth put me onto your blog and I loved reading the 9/17 post! I felt like I was right there with you! I'm looking forward to seeing you soon! These posts are treasurers! They will make a great book someday!

kristen

Missy said...

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!, I'm looking so forward to the retreat and getting to show y'all life here!