Tuesday, March 19, 2013

'Welcome' Back to School

I know I haven't been blogging much recently but the past week has given me multiple topics to write about. Before I can tell you about Spring Break and getting to visit my brother, I'll fill you in on what happened a few hours after arriving back at school.

Yesterday afternoon I was all geared up for a great nap. The sky was getting dark and you could tell we were about to have a great thunderstorm. I love sleeping in thunderstorms and was looking forward to it. Unfortunately we did not get a lovely thunderstorm. Instead the campus, and surrounding area, was pelted with horrible hail the size of baseballs! The hail came out of nowhere and lasted for about 5 minutes, it seemed like the roof was about to cave in. It was very dark outside and the noise of so many huge, hard, hailstones was insane! 
The hailstones came down so hard then went
right through this windshield leaving holes
instead of shattering the whole window. 
A slightly-melted hailstone about 10 minutes after it came down
A hole in the window of my building
This car was parked next to mine. Sadly this isn't
an uncommon sight around campus right now.
After the short hailstorm and 10 minutes of rain it was basically over. People came up to check on their cars, tape plastic over windows, and take pictures of the damage and the partially melted stones. Thankfully no one was badly hurt though the parking lots looked like a bomb had gone off. All the cars had some sort of damage and probably 60%-70% of the cars have at least one window or windshield smashed. I couldn't believe it! I'd heard of "Baseball sized hail" but I'd always thought it was a joke. I checked my car and thanked the Lord that I only had some dents and a little chipped paint. The 4 cars on both sides of mine all had smashed rear windshields. I don't understand how that happened but I am grateful. 
I had to have a little fun while running around
handing out trash bags and checking for broken
glass so I snapped a quick selfie of me 'eating' a
hailstone. 

No comments: