Today was a pretty crazy day here on campus. This morning was Preview Day for perspective students and this afternoon was Derby day for the clubs and tribes. I recently became a student recruiter for the admissions office and this was the first Preview Day I've been a part of. Sadly, because of the weather, we had to move everything inside but it was still a ton of fun. I helped direct people to the check-in tables, walked students to mock classes, and gave a tour. It was an early morning and a long day but totally worth it. The more I become involved in things on campus the more I fall in love with this place!
After Preview day was over, and most of the high schoolers had gone home, we had Derby Day. Derby day is basically field-day for college kids (or so I've hears, I never had field day so I cant really speak from experience). Each Mens' club and Girls' tribe set up a tent, like we do for tailgates, and points were given for the best tailgates as well as the teams who one the individual events. The events included an egg toss, tug-of-war, presidential quiz, and nasty food relay race. It was a lot of fun seeing friends, mingling around, and watching the events.
While watching the tug-of-war competition I was reminded over and over of how much I love it here. I love that the "Preppy guys" cheered on the "Hipster guys" and cheered for them when they win, even though they themselves had just lost in the 'looser round'. I love that everyone helped out when we had to move a tent, and tables, so as to have enough room for the competitions. I love that everyone was having fun without sacrificing their morals. I love that the Beau and sweethearts joined in the nasty food relay and ate baby food and canned meat because they love their sisters and brothers. I love that some of the guys who're in a club and are a beau wear shirts that are a tailored combination of the two groups' shirts. I love that I could stand next to the Associate dean of student and watch a bunch of guys compete in an egg toss.
In a world full of movies and TV shows telling you that college is all about sleeping around, drinking, and having a 'good time' I wish I could show them the day I had today. It was so much fun for everyone involved yet when administration or campus security walked by no one things anything about it and keeps on having a great day. I feel like an old person saying this but it's just Good Clean Fun. And that's what I love about my school.



No comments:
Post a Comment