As I mentioned in my earlier post I went to observe/teach a mini lesson to a group of first graders on Valentine's day. I'm very excited to be working with this class for the semester especially since I get to teach short lessons to a small group each week. This first time I only had to do a short reading lesson based on a poem on my choice. Also I got to see Valentine's day at an elementary school. WOW
If you've never experienced this you should. February 14th seems to be the best and worst days of school all wrapped into one. Personally, I loved it
It's crazy. The children know what day it is and that there will be a party after lunch. They know they'll get to give out the cards they brought and that they will get cards from their friends. The students bring items for the party and gifts for the teacher. One student brought the giant chocolate heart she got from her parents to show her classmates as school.
It's awful. No one can pay attention too long to their studies. Administrative people are in and out all morning delivering forgotten valentines from parents who dropped them off in the office. Children and distracted by their special Valentines outfits and with the gifts and party food on the teacher's desk. The teachers are trying to figure out what to do with all the candy they've received since it's the second day of lint and they're already debating whether or not to cheat on their diet plans.
But most of all it's happy. They are heart shaped art projects to make and valentine collectors to decorate. The little girls are wearing cute pink and red strips and heart of their clothes. Everyone's smiling. It's fun to take a box of chocolates to your teacher. You have an exciting party to look forward to. It's a whole day of expectant waiting. After so many boring days of nothing to look forward to but chilly morning and gray days you finally have something to look forward to; Valentine's day!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment