Tuesday, February 12, 2013

In Which Missy Feels Surrounded by Water


It's raining again. It started raining Sunday morning and has been raining pretty much ever since. It fluctuates from light sprinkles to sudden downpours but all in all it's pretty wet around here. On days like this I often think of the Winnie-the-Pooh story, In Which Piglet is Entirely Surrounded by Water that I used to listen to when I was little. The opening line is one of my favorites;  
It rained and it rained and it rained. Piglet told himself that never in all his life, and he was goodness knows how old---three, was it, or four?---never had he seen so much rain. Days and days and days.
Today I was in denial and wore my cloth sneakers, instead of boots, and a used an umbrella instead of wearing a raincoat. Thankfully I was inside during the very heavy rain but as I walked across campus to my next class in the steady down fall I finally had to give up the fight and just be wet. I could jump or step over the little puddles but when the entire sidewalk decided to be a slow moving stream for the day I gave up the struggles and just walked through it. All during class I promised myself good things after class if I was good and didn't complain too much about my cold wet feet; Dry socks, cozy sweatpants, hot tea, and I snack. It helped the time pass and helped me feel a little less like a cold wet puppy.
 

No comments: