Recently I've been thinking a lot about this question. Am I allowing those around me to change or do I force them into my pre-made pockets of who they used to be? I've found that when people do this to me it is frustrating and disappointing. Picture this;
I do something; make fun of someone, be snooty about something, act a certain way, something that I shouldn't. However, then the Lord convicts me of it and I repent and try to change. I pray for change, I alter my surroundings to promote change, and I consciously work to evict the bad behavior out of my life. Then, just as I think I might be getting out of the habit for good, someone says something like; 'You know that guy who talks funny who you always make fun of?' Ouch! In my head I begin to reel from the imaginary punch in the face. 'What? How can she say that? I've been trying so hard! I haven't said anything mean about him in a month! I've been complementing him all week!'As I said before, this can be very frustrating and disappointing, not only do others see my faults so plainly but they are also judging me in the past instead of seeing how I'm trying to change. Ashamedly I see myself doing this others frequently. I judge not on how someone is currently, but how they were a few weeks or months ago. The Lord is always working and changing His own from the person they once were into the person He wants them to be. This isn't a one time deal where you believe in christ, are saved and changed, then go on with life as that new person- No, the change is continual over time.
I'm not sure where we get this idea that there is a point, if you work hard enough, do well enough, strive hard enough, that you will 'arrive' but it's not reality. We are fluid creatures changing and growing throughout life.
No comments:
Post a Comment