Saturday, February 22, 2014

Why Bubble Baths Can't Fix My Problems

Recently I've found myself getting to that point of just really needing a break. 'If only I could... get away/relax in a bubble bath/lay in bed/take a long weekend... then I'd be refreshed and feel better.'. However, living in a dorm with very little personal space, student teaching all day every day, and keeping up with other plans at night an on the weekends, it's nearly impossible to 'recharge' in that way very often. I don't have a bathtub, I can't up and leave when I'd like, and even a warm, quiet shower before bed is often interrupted by roommates going to and fro through our suite-style bathroom to their room.
One night, as I was getting frustrated with the lack of time I have to mentally check-out and relax, I realized what my real problem was; I was looking to the wrong things to be re-charged. 100 years soaking in a bubble bath isn't going to come close to meeting the need I have. Only God can fill up that feeling of empty exhaustion and recharge my worn-out mind. Although He's promised to fulfill all my needs, and has over and over, I still find myself taking my eyes off of Him and looking to earthly things, things that might mask the need for a minute but can't sustain for fulfill me.

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

Missy, my student teaching days were hard, too. I missed college life and wasn't ready for such a packed schedule that did not include parties. Hang in there!