Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Elie

This afternoon I received a call from my sister informing me that our family dog of many years had to be put to sleep. I cried. It was all very sudden and unexpected. I wouldn't have expected to have this kind of a reaction, after all it's just a dog and it could have been a lot worse. However, as I thought about it more I realized that it was comparable to loosing a part of home, a piece of my childhood. I'd grown up with that dog and was very used to having her around. I loved her. Not it the same way as I would a person but like a favorite, comfortable thing; that thing you reach for when you're sacred or worried or sad. Something to talk to that wont talk back, judge, or ask questions. And oh how many one-sided conversations has that sweet pup sat through!
I don't mean to be inhumane about the situation, believe me, this is written after many tears. But I've also been reminded of the big scheme of things. I have so much to be thankful for. People cry with far more hurt than I'm dealing with. Tonight I took a drive and told all this, and more, to the Lord. He reminded me of his love and care for me and that, even though the lose of a dog isn't even a drop in the ocean of hurt covering the world, He cares about it because right now it is my ocean of hurt. I was overwhelmed with the wonder of that idea. The God of the universe is concerned over my small life and the seemingly insignificant things that happen in in because he cares so much for me!
Although I know I'll miss her a lot and the sadness and tears will pop back up at times, I can rest in the arms of my savior and friend, Jesus Christ, be reminded of the happy times we had with El, and be thankful for the blessings I have.

No comments: