My mom's the best.
Over the years my mom has been such a great mom not only to me and my four siblings but also to our friends, teammates, neighbors, and random people we happen to find along the path of life.
I was reminded about this this weekend when a friend asked if he and 5 others could stay at my house for a Formal they're going to this weekend in Memphis. I use the word 'friend' rather loosely. The thing is we don't really even know each other, other than being introduced once, but he heard from a mutual friend that I was from Memphis so asked if my parents would be willing to let his formal group stay the night. My mom said 'Of course' and is now excited about them coming.This got me thinking about all the people through the years that have enjoyed the hospitality and great cooking from my mom. Here's some of who I came up with:
- My roommate and suit-mates who lived too far away to go home for Easter freshman year.
- The girls down the hall who've come home with me for the weekend.
- Highschool friends who came almost weekly to play games and have dessert.
- A guy who was a councilor with my sister left his car at our house while he was out of the country for a month one summer.
- My brother's college friends when they've come in town for concerts.
- My sister's nursing school friends who had clinicals in Memphis stayed every thursday night for a whole semester.
- A host of Christmas parties, Bible studies, Garden club, and wedding parties.
- B's school friend who comes over early to ride each week to study and ride together.
- My brothers girlfriends - One even comes when he's out of town just to hang out with Mom and my sisters.
I think why people come and come back is that Mama makes people feel so comfortable. Our house is a comfortable house that feels like home, whether it's yours or not. So many of my friends no know that a trip to my house means 3 things; you'll get a downtown tour by Dad (if you're not from here), you'll eat well, and you'll most likely have grits, barbeque, and biscuits. I hope that when I grow up my house will be a comfortable place for people, just like Mom's made ours.
1 comment:
She is such a blessing you are right!!!
Post a Comment