All my life we've had a cloth manger scene, like this one, at my house. My mom used to put the glass one up on a table where we couldn't touch it, but would let us play and re-arrange the cloth one all throughout the christmas season. I remember when we lost the manger we used to put the baby Jesus in Santa's s sleigh. Now my mom takes it to her 2 year olds Sunday school class and them play with it at christmas.
Last year when my friends and I went to Izmire for Thanksgiving holiday, the family we stayed with had the same manger scene. I loved it because it was like a taste of home even though I was so far away. Though I loved where I was I missed decorating the house with all the christmasy things we bring out each year. I just had to take a picture. I like it also because it was like a reminder from God that wherever I was I could get into the christmas spirit because it's not about the trees, the bows or the yummy smells of cookies and cider Christmas is about that little baby that was born so he could live a life SO much better than we could ever try but then in the prime of his life he'd be killed. Executed by hanging on a cross for the soul purpose of saving my life. That's what Christmas was about. not whether it snowed or not, whether I was able to do my christmas shopping, or even whether we put the little pillow of baby jesus in a paper manger or in a sleigh. He came for one purpose.
Last week I went to baby sit a family I just met recently. The kids are so much fun and I love playing with them while their mom is out. We have so much fun together. Last week I walk into the house full of christmas decorations. The tree was up and covered in lights and ornaments, There were bows, lights, a Christmas countdown and on a table low enough for the smallest child to see and play with was a cloth manger scene. It's the same as the one I grew up with and the same one I saw and was comforted by in Turkey last year. The first thing the little girl asked to do with me that day was act out the Christmas story using the cloth manger scene. Of course I said yes.
The scene seems to be following me but I don't mind. I hope it continues and will always remind me of the real meaning of Christmas as well as all the happy memories I have of Christmases with my family at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment