Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Graduation Reflections

** I meant to post them a few weeks ago but between moving and traveling it didn't get done, here you go :)**

Although it seems like I just welcomed these little ones into my class a few weeks ago someone June came around and it was time to let them graduation and head off to first grade!
Since this was my second time to put on a Kindergarten graduation I felt a little less nervous about it but while I had done it last year this class it much larger. Instead of making 9 caps and signing 9 diplomas it was 19. The row of 9 tiny chairs on stage turned into 19 and so I had to make a few changes.

In addition to sing the alphabet, counting to 100 by 5's and 10's and singing our class' favorite song, the students also recited poems. They did such a great job and I was so proud of them as were the many parents who came to watch.
Sadly there were two parents missing and, for me and one child, those loses were felt much stronger than the parents who filled our little classroom for cookies afterwards.
P has held a very special place in my heart all year. The first week of school, when the other teachers didn't know her name they referred to her as my 'mini-me'. She's been my sweet helper all year and I love her sometimes hourly hugs and kisses. After graduation finished I followed the last child to the classroom as parents began following us. As soon as I walked in P looked at me, 'they didn't come'. I could tell she was holding back tears. 'Maybe they came in late and stood in the back?' I tried to think positively, I knew her mom knew about it and was planning to come. 'No, they didn't. They didn't come'. At that point all I could do was hold her tightly and let her trie to compose herself and think through the terrible thought that they hadn't come.
True to their culture they arrived 15 minutes late to the graduation. Thankfully by the time they arrived P was so happy to see them she didn't seem to care that they had missed her poems or songs.
S's parents also hadn't come and I only realized it when he kept hopping into any and all pictures being taken. He didn't seem bothered by his parents absence but enjoyed smiling for everyone else's pictures. Thankfully another parent who know his family took pictures of S and I to send his parents.
P's parents were also missing
Three days later I stood at the door of the school welcoming parents to the school graduation. The seniors walked nervously in and out, taking pictures, and laughing with friends until it was time to line up in alphabetical order. One senior I noticed kept walking in and out but without stopping and looked heartbroken. He was covering it with a face of frustration and a little anger but I could tell he was mostly just sad. After a few minutes of watching him I figured out the story. His dad wasn't there. He was about to graduate high-school and his father was missing. While the girls were touching up their lip-stick and boys were straightening ties nervously this boy just wanted his father to arrive. I prayed that he would make it in time a just before the sounds of Pomp and Circumstance began he arrived. The nervous senior literally grabbed his father and ushered him to a seat before taking his place in line with the other graduates.
Teacher and friends may take priority at times but when it comes down to it, parents cannot be replaced. I don't know what it is to be a parent and I'm sure they have good reasons but this is what I've learned about being a parent this week.

No comments: