Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Cooking Lesson

This weekend I had my first Turkish cooking lesson with Roomie and two of our friends. The whole thing was in Turkish and we learned to make traditional foods.

It was lots of fun and easier than I'd expected. We made stuffed eggplant and peppers then rolled a rice mixture in grape leaves and cabbage leaves.
Also on the agenda was making eggplant salad. I was least excited about this and wasn't sure what to expect. As it turns out I wouldn't have included salad in the same but I can't think of another word; eggplant casserole (but does a casserole need to be baked at some point?).
Anyway... To grill the eggplants our teacher placed them directly on the burner! Then they were chopped and mashed in to a delicious, warm, heavenly mixture of goodness. It turned out to be my favorite thing we made!
I look forward to making some of these dishes for family and friends in America when I visit- I'm just not sure how game they'll be about grilling eggplants on the stove.
*update: more pictures here!

No comments: