Friday, August 28, 2015

First Week: Check!

I woke up this morning to the sun streaming in  my window and a cool breeze blowing through my room. It was lovely.
In some ways I feel like I've been back for a month and today feels like my first real 'off day' since leaving Memphis. I've begun a new school year with new students, new parents, and new challenges. So many things about this year seem to opposite from last year. I have 17 students on my role and 12 of those being boys! Needless to say this year's class is a little louder and more energetic than last year. I also have a lot more English speakers in this class which is good but presents new challenges as I still have a few who don't speak any English. However, all in all we're settling into our new school year somehow. I can already see that they're learning the rules and procedures of the classroom with is a huge encouragement.
To be honest the first week of school was tough. I missed my former class and had forgotten how much these kids don't know when they come to school for the first time. I had to be very firm and more stubborn than my students and balance kindness (to get them to stop crying for mom) with strict order (so they wouldn't run me over!). By Wednesday afternoon I was very discouraged and frustrated with myself for not having more patience with my students. It had been a bad day but it was my fault as much as theirs'. Before school Thursday morning I open up My Upmost for His Highest and turned to the reading for the day before, August 26. It spoke of God's peace and finding true peace in him, not in our circumstances. I can't say I was completely changed and totally patient at that point but it did help remind me to find my strength and patience in God and not in the behavior of 5 year-olds.
Friday afternoon magically came and I treated myself to a celebratory ice cream from the market across the street from school. In the afternoon I got ready for next week and set up my room for Parent Night. Thankfully the evening went well and I was able to meet almost all my students' parents. Once it was over and the parents had all left I felt a second wind! My feet were tired, I was tired, and it was late but I was thankful and joyful to be finished with the first week and off to a new year. True there will be late students arriving in the coming weeks and months but the official 'first week' is over and we can move onto the 'real' weeks of school. I'm thankful for that.
I look forward to getting to know my students better and falling in love with their personalities and endearing ways as they grow and learn. I'm also thankful that (most) my former students are just down the hall and every now and then slip up at recess and come up to be calling for 'Teacher' to 'Look at this!!!'. That first class will always hold a special spot in my heart.

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

You are a super teacher!!!!