Thursday, December 19, 2013

Peace

It's been a long day and I'm glad to sit quietly by the lit christmas tree and write. My sister, who got her tonsils out earlier today, is resting peacefully on the couch floating in and out of sleep. I'm sitting here in the dimly lit room, here if she needs anything. Periodically she'll wake up and say something but I don't always catch her words and don't know if they're for me anyway. After a long day of errands and visiting the out-patient recovery room it's nice to be here in the quiet house with the dog snoozing under my foot and only the sounds of my typing and the dryer.
I've always enjoyed (and needed!) my alone time, especially during the holidays when the days are busy and the house is full. I remember when I was young going into the more-formal/less-used living room, where we had set up the christmas tree, at night when all the lights were off except for the brightly colored lights on the tree. I would lay on the stiff sofa, take off my glasses, and look at the blurred colors of the tree. They looked so nice like that and I would wish that I could sleep there and wake up to that same beautiful sight.
Today I still enjoy that peaceful feeling of looking at the christmas tree. Although it's in a different room, the lights are white, and I keep my glasses on, I am reminded of Christmas memories and feel peace as I remember the true meaning of Christmas. After all the hustle and bustle of traveling and trying to find a room, the pain of giving birth in a barn, and the wonder of having a bunch of cattle-men coming to see her newborn, I bet Mary had a moment like this as she looked at her new son. A feeling of peace and contentment; everything may not be perfect, many things were going wrong, but God is in control and is giving peace in this moment.

No comments: