Friday, July 6, 2012

Me Significant?

As I sit here covered in Aloe, because of my sunburn, I began thinking.
Many times it's easy to feel insignificant in life. I mean, I've never saved anyone's life, I've never done anything news worthy, in the big scheme of things I'm really not someone people are going to remember and read about in 100 years. And I'm ok with that. The important part for me is what I did do. The small things that helped. I knitted a hat and donated it to a shelter so somewhere there's a man staying warm during the winter because of me. They were having a clothing drive at school and because of the few items I tossed in on my way by someone has something to wear. It wasn't like I made any huge sacrifice but because of the love for people the Lord's given me I was able to make a difference.
I was reminded of this idea because tonight I got a wrong-number text. All the text said was "Hey Friend, what's up?" it was from a number I didn't recognize and, because I lost most of my contacts a couple of months back and am still adding them back, I texted back saying that because of the lost contacts I wasn't sure who this was. I received a text a few minutes later apologizing for texting the wrong number saying that his girlfriend's number was one digit off. I replied that it wasn't a problem  for me and that I was glad he'd figured out the mix up. He replied with "Yeah, she'd been mad because I hadn't texted her today. hahah oops, Good night!"
That's what got me started thinking about how it's the little things that make the difference. Instead of being grouchy and mad because his text hadn't gone where he wanted or mad because his girlfriend was mad at him, he instead was friendly and made me smile. It was almost as if, through out 4 text conversation, we were almost friends. We shared a smile and a laugh and went on with out lives.
I hope that I'm that way with the people I come into contact with. I hope I make people smile and brighten their day instead of giving them one more thing to add to the 'bad day' list.
I may not do anything huge or wonderful but I believe I can be significant through the little things I do. Making someone smile could be argued as being as significant as the 'important' things in life.

No comments: